Frequently Asked Questions
At times, unanticipated expenses or unforeseen problems can leave you with too little cash in your checking account. Having a check returned due to insufficient funds can be a costly, inconvenient and potentially embarrassing experience.
At Central National Bank, we do not encourage overdrafts. As always, we encourage you to manage your finances responsibly. However, we want to save you from the additional merchant fees and possible damage to your credit history that might result if a check is returned.
That's why we provide "Bounce Protection", a special overdraft privilege service for Central National Bank's checking customers.
- How does it work?
- We are not obligated to pay an item presented for payment if your account does not contain sufficient funds; however, as long as you maintain your account in "good standing," we may approve your overdraft items within your current available Bounce Protection limit as a non-contractual courtesy. For overdraft privilege consideration, your account is in "good standing" if you (1) make sufficient deposits to bring your account to a positive end-of-day balance at least once every 30 calendar days (including the payment of all bank fees and charges); (2) avoid excessive overdrafts suggesting the use of Bounce Protection as a continuing line of credit; and (3) there are no legal orders, levies or liens against your account. Please note that the amount of the overdraft plus our paid overdraft item fee of $29 for each item will be deducted from your overdraft limit. Each time the item is returned, the returned item NSF fee of $29 will be deducted from your account. No interest will be charged on the overdraft balance.
- How do I know when I use the overdraft limit?
- You will receive an overdraft notice each time items are paid, including fees. You will need to subtract the total fees when balancing your checkbook.
- What is my limit? I have two checking accounts. Can I get bounce protection on both?
- If you have multiple accounts for your household, you may have a limit on each eligible account.
- Premium Checking limit is $1,000
- Value Checking limit is $500
- Basic Checking limit is $500
- What if I go beyond my limit?
- Overdrafts above and beyond your established Bounce Protection limit may result in checks or other items being returned to the payee. The returned item NSF fee of $29 will be charged per presentment of each item and assessed to your account. An NSF notice will be sent to notify you of items paid and/or returned.
- How quickly must I repay my bounce protection?
- You should make every attempt to bring your account to a positive end-of-day balance as soon as possible, and must do so within 30 calendar days. If you are not able to do so, you will receive a letter from Central National Bank informing you that your Bounce Protection limit has been suspended and additional items will be returned. Unless we advise you differently or you request this service be removed from your account, your limit will be made available to cover overdrafts again after you bring your account to a positive end-of-day balance.
- What does bounce protection cost?
- There is no additional cost associated with this privilege unless you use it. You will be charged our standard paid overdraft item fee of $29 for each overdrawn item created by a traditional paperbased check, a teller withdrawal, an automatic payment (ACH) transaction or a recurring debit card payment. Also, if you have requested us to do so, we may authorize and cover ATM transfers or withdrawals and everyday debit card purchases.
- For example, three paid items in one day will result in $87 in paid overdraft item fees. To help you manage your account, the total fees you have paid for items (both paid and returned) during the current month and for the year-to-date will be reflected on your monthly checking statement.
- What are some ways I can access my bounce protection limit? Will my limit be reflected in the balance I receive?
- The chart below shows the different ways you can access your Bounce Protection limit and indicates whether or not this limit will be reflected in the balance provided.
Access Point Is my bounce protection limit available? Does the balance provided reflect my bounce protection limit? Teller Yes No Writing a Check Yes N/A Debit Card (recurring) Yes N/A Debit Card (every day) No** N/A ATM Withdrawal No** No ACH-Auto Debit Yes N/A Central Online/Mobile Banking Yes No Bill Pay Yes N/A X-Press Phone Banking Yes No
- ** Bounce Protection service will be made available for ATM or everyday debit card transactions upon your request. Call (888) 262-5456 or visit one of our branches to arrange for your ATM and debit card coverage.
- How soon can I use my bounce protection?
- If you are a new customer, we will advise you 30 or more days after your account is opened that you may use the overdraft privilege service. This is provided you have maintained satisfactory activity in the account, consistent with our internal standards for new account types that may offer Bounce Protection. Once you are notified your Bounce Protection limit is available to you, it may continue to be available provided you maintain the account in "good standing" as defined in this brochure.
- What are some other ways I can cover overdrafts at Central National Bank?
- The best way to avoid overdrafts and fees is to keep track of your account balance by entering all checks, debit card purchases and ATM withdrawals in your check register, reconcile your checkbook regularly and manage your finances responsibly. However, if a mistake occurs, Central National Bank offers additional ways to cover overdrafts in addition to Bounce Protection.
Ways to Cover Overdrafts at CNB Associated Fees* Good account management $0 Link to savings account $8.00 Sweep transaction charge Platinum check line 16.768% APR* + $25.00 annual fee Bounce Protection Paid overdraft item fee of $29 for each item
- What if I do not want to have bounce protection on my checking account?
- If you would like to have this service removed from your account, please call 1-(888) 262-5456.
How can we help?
Let us know the best way to reach you and one of our customer representatives will be in touch.Contact Us
© 2019 Central National Bank. All rights reserved.
Secure Page Sign-In
Ensuring the security of your personal information is important to us. When you sign in to Online Banking on our home page, your User Name and Password are secure. The moment you click the Log In button, we encrypt your user name and password using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology.
Browser Security Indicators
You may notice when you are on our home page that some familiar indicators do not appear in your browser to confirm the entire page is secure. Those indicators include the small "lock" icon in the bottom right corner of the browser frame and the "s" in the Web address bar (for example, "https").
To provide the fast access to our home page, we have made signing in to Online Banking secure without making the entire page secure. You can be assured that your ID and password are secure and that only Central National Bank has access to them.
Centralnational.com is SSL-Encypted
Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology secretly encodes (encrypts data) information that is being sent over the Internet between your computer and Central National Bank, helping to ensure that the information remains confidential.